Select supplier technical solutions to be analyzed and analysis methods to be used.
The supplier technical solutions are typically in one of the following three stages:
- Candidate solutions or preliminary designs (includes consideration of design approaches, design concepts, architectures, architectural styles and patterns, product partitions, major interfaces, system states and modes) that potentially satisfy an appropriate set of allocated functional and quality attribute requirements
- Detailed designs for selected solutions (i.e., containing all the information needed to manufacture, code, or otherwise implement the design as a product or product component)
- Implemented designs (i.e., the product or service)
Depending on where in the acquisition lifecycle the highest risks occur, the acquirer selects supplier technical solutions for analysis to reduce those risks. Analysis methods are selected based on the type of technical solution being analyzed and the nature of the risk.
The acquirer may also want to select interfaces for analysis to help decide which interfaces require acquirer management. (See specific goal 2 of this process area.)
Example Work Products
- Criteria used to select supplier technical solutions for analysis
- Lists of supplier technical solutions selected for analysis
- Analysis methods for each selected supplier solution
Example Supplier Deliverables
- List of supplier deliverables
1. Develop criteria for determining which supplier technical solutions to analyze.
2. Identify supplier technical solutions for analysis.
- Supplier derived product and product component requirements, architectures, and designs
- Product interface descriptions
- Products and product components
- Operations manuals
- Plans for training the operations staff
3. Identify the functional and quality attribute requirements to be satisfied by each selected technical solution.
A traceability matrix is a useful tool for identifying requirements for each selected technical solution, as it typically includes information that relates requirements to work products. When identifying requirements for each selected technical solution, consult the appropriate traceability matrix.
4. Identify the analysis methods to be used for each selected technical solution.
- Architecture evaluation
5. Include analysis methods and review activities in the project plan.