Identify incidents and record information about them.
Capacity, performance, or availability issues often signal potential incidents.
Example Work Products
- Incident management record
1. Identify incidents that are in scope.
- Incidents reported by the customer to a help desk by phone
- Incidents reported by the end user in a web form
- Incidents detected by automated detection systems
- Incidents derived from the analysis of anomalies in data collected
- Monitoring and analyzing external sources of information (e.g., RSS feeds, news services, websites)
2. Record information about the incident.
When recording information about an incident, record sufficient information to properly support analysis and resolution activities.
- Name and contact information of the person who reported the incident
- Description of the incident
- Categories the incident belongs to
- Date and time of occurrence and date and time the incident was reported
- The configuration items involved in the incident
- Closure code and information
- Relevant characteristics of the situation in which the incident occurred
3. Categorize the incident.
Using the categories established in the approach to incident resolution and prevention, assign the relevant categories to the incident in the incident management system. Communicating with those who reported the incident about its status enables the service provider to confirm incident information early.