The requirements are analyzed and validated.
The specific practices of the Analyze and Validate Requirements specific goal support the development of the requirements in both the Develop Customer Requirements specific goal and the Develop Product Requirements specific goal. The specific practices associated with this specific goal cover analyzing and validating the requirements with respect to the end user’s intended environment.
Analyses are performed to determine what impact the intended operational environment will have on the ability to satisfy the stakeholders’ needs, expectations, constraints, and interfaces. Considerations, such as feasibility, mission needs, cost constraints, potential market size, and acquisition strategy, should all be taken into account, depending on the product context. Architecturally significant quality attributes are identified based on mission and business drivers. A definition of required functionality and quality attributes is also established. All specified usage modes for the product are considered.
The objectives of the analyses are to determine candidate requirements for product concepts that will satisfy stakeholder needs, expectations, and constraints and then to translate these concepts into requirements. In parallel with this activity, the parameters that will be used to evaluate the effectiveness of the product are determined based on customer input and the preliminary product concept.
Requirements are validated to increase the probability that the resulting product will perform as intended in the use environment.
- RD.SP 3.1 Establish Operational Concepts and Scenarios
- Establish and maintain operational concepts and associated scenarios.
- RD.SP 3.2 Establish a Definition of Required Functionality and Quality Attributes
- Establish and maintain a definition of required functionality and quality attributes.
- RD.SP 3.3 Analyze Requirements
- Analyze requirements to ensure that they are necessary and sufficient.
- RD.SP 3.4 Analyze Requirements to Achieve Balance
- Analyze requirements to balance stakeholder needs and constraints.
- RD.SP 3.5 Validate Requirements
- Validate requirements to ensure the resulting product will perform as intended in the end user's environment.