Manage changes to the requirements as they evolve during the project.
Refer to the Configuration Management (CM) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about tracking and controlling changes.
Requirements change for a variety of reasons. As needs change and as work proceeds, changes may have to be made to existing requirements. It is essential to manage these additions and changes efficiently and effectively. To effectively analyze the impact of changes, it is necessary that the source of each requirement is known and the rationale for the change is documented. The project may want to track appropriate measures of requirements volatility to judge whether new or revised approach to change control is necessary.
Example Work Products
- Requirements change requests
- Requirements change impact reports
- Requirements status
- Requirements database
1. Document all requirements and requirements changes that are given to or generated by the project.
2. Maintain a requirements change history, including the rationale for changes.
Maintaining the change history helps to track requirements volatility.
3. Evaluate the impact of requirement changes from the standpoint of relevant stakeholders.
4. Make requirements and change data available to the project.