Implement the service system design.
The term “implement” in this practice refers to the actual creation of designed components of the service system in a form that can subsequently be integrated, verified, and validated. “Implement” does not refer to putting the service system into place in the delivery environment. That deployment process occurs later during service system transition.
In some cases consumables and people (e.g., provider staff) may be “implemented.” For example, specialized paper forms may need to be printed. The “implementation” of people may involve hiring new staff or putting into place a new organizational or team structure to handle new kinds of responsibilities. Such new structures should be integrated, verified, and validated prior to the start of service transition.
Service system components are implemented from previously established designs and interfaces. The implementation can include standalone testing of service system components and usually includes the development of any necessary training materials for staff and end users.
- Interface compatibility is confirmed.
- Component functionality is incrementally delivered.
- Software is coded.
- Training materials are developed.
- Electrical and mechanical parts are fabricated.
- Procedures that implement process designs are written.
- Facilities are constructed.
- Supplier agreements are established.
- Staff are hired or transferred.
- Organizational and team structures are established.
- Custom consumables are produced (e.g., disposable packaging materials).
Example Work Products
- Implemented service system components
- Training materials
- User, operator, and maintenance manuals
- Procedure descriptions
- Records of new hires and staff transfers
- Records of communications about organizational changes
- Use effective methods to implement the service system design.
- Adhere to applicable standards and criteria.
- Conduct peer reviews of selected service system components.
- Perform standalone testing of service system components as appropriate.
- Revise the service system as necessary.