Establish and maintain the work environment based on the organization’s work environment standards.
An appropriate work environment for the work comprises an infrastructure of facilities, tools, and equipment that people need to perform their jobs effectively in support of business and service objectives. The work environment and its components are maintained at a level of work environment performance and reliability indicated by organizational work environment standards. As required, the work environment or some of its components can be developed internally or acquired from external sources.
The work environment should encompass all work spaces where the work group operates. This work environment includes work spaces not under the direct control or ownership of the organization (e.g., delivering a product or service at a customer site).
Example Work Products
- Equipment and tools for the work
- Installation, operation, and maintenance manuals for the work environment
- User surveys and results
- Use, performance, and maintenance records
- Support services for the work environment
1. Plan, design, and install a work environment.
The critical aspects of the work environment are, like any other product, requirements driven. Functionality and quality attributes of the work environment are explored with the same rigor as is done for any other product development project.
It may be necessary to make tradeoffs among quality attributes, costs, and risks.
- Quality attribute considerations can include timely communication, safety, security, and maintainability.
- Costs can include capital outlays, training, a support structure; disassembly and disposal of existing environments; and the operation and maintenance of the environment.
- Risks can include workflow disruptions.
- Office software
- Decision support software
- Project management tools
- Service management tools
- Requirements management tools
- Incident and request management tools
- Test and evaluation equipment
2. Provide ongoing maintenance and operational support for the work environment.
Maintenance and support of the work environment can be accomplished either with capabilities found inside the organization or hired from outside the organization.
- Hiring people to perform maintenance and support
- Training people to perform maintenance and support
- Contracting maintenance and support
- Developing expert users for selected tools
3. Maintain the qualification of components of the work environment.
Components include the ones necessary to support service delivery, software, databases, hardware, tools, test equipment, and appropriate documentation. Qualification of a service delivery environment includes audits of the environment and its components for compliance with safety requirements and regulations. Qualification of software includes appropriate certifications. Hardware and test equipment qualification includes calibration and adjustment records and traceability to calibration standards.
4. Periodically review how well the work environment is meeting work activity needs and supporting collaboration, and take action as appropriate.
- Adding new tools
- Acquiring additional networks, equipment, training, and support