Identify and prioritize the essential functions that must be performed to ensure service continuity.
To identify essential functions, an intimate understanding of all service system operations is required. Although many functions are important, not every activity performed is an essential function. Essential functions are those functions that must be sustained in an emergency or significant disruption of services.
The priorities of essential functions should reflect which services can be disrupted and for what period of time (i.e., long versus short disruption). Understanding which services are critical drives which essential functions are required to provide critical services.
Establishing correct priorities requires involvement of a wide range of stakeholders.
Example Work Products
- A business impact analysis
1. Identify and prioritize the essential services of the organization.
2. Identify the essential functions on which services rely.
3. Analyze the criticality of providing those functions and the impact to services if the essential functions cannot be performed.
4. Prioritize the list of essential functions that must be provided despite a significant disruption.