The purpose of Causal Analysis and Resolution (CAR) (CMMI-DEV) is to identify causes of selected outcomes and take action to improve process performance.
Introductory NotesCausal analysis and resolution improves quality and productivity by preventing the introduction of defects or problems and by identifying and appropriately incorporating the causes of superior process performance. The Causal Analysis and Resolution process area involves the following activities:
- Identifying and analyzing causes of selected outcomes. The selected outcomes can represent defects and problems that can be prevented from happening in the future or successes that can be implemented in projects or the organization.
- Taking actions to complete the following:
- Remove causes and prevent the recurrence of those types of defects and problems in the future
- Proactively analyze data to identify potential problems and prevent them from occurring
- Incorporate the causes of successes into the process to improve future process performance
Refer to the Measurement and Analysis (MA) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about aligning measurement and analysis activities and providing measurement results.Causal Analysis and Resolution activities provide a mechanism for projects to evaluate their processes at the local level and look for improvements that can be implemented. When improvements are judged to be effective, the information is submitted to the organizational level for potential deployment in the organizational processes. The specific practices of this process area apply to a process that is selected for quantitative management. Use of the specific practices of this process area can add value in other situations, but the results may not provide the same degree of impact to the organization’s quality and process performance objectives.
Refer to the Quantitative Project Management (QPM) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about quantitatively managing the project to achieve the project’s established quality and process performance objectives.
Refer to the Organizational Performance Management (OPM) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about selecting and implementing improvements for deployment.
Refer to the Measurement and Analysis (MA) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about aligning measurement and analysis activities and providing measurement results.