The purpose of Organizational Performance Management (OPM) (CMMI-DEV) is to proactively manage the organization’s performance to meet its business objectives.
Introductory NotesThe Organizational Performance Management process area enables the organization to manage organizational performance by iteratively analyzing aggregated project data, identifying gaps in performance against the business objectives, and selecting and deploying improvements to close the gaps. In this process area, the term “improvement” includes all incremental and innovative process and technology improvements, including those improvements made to project work environments. “Improvement” refers to all ideas that would change the organization’s processes, technologies, and performance to better meet the organization’s business objectives and associated quality and process performance objectives. Business objectives that this process area might address include the following:
- Improved product quality (e.g., functionality, quality attributes)
- Increased productivity
- Increased process efficiency and effectiveness
- Increased consistency in meeting budget and schedule
- Decreased cycle time
- Greater customer and end-user satisfaction
- Shorter development or production time to change functionality, add new features, or adapt to new technologies
- Improved performance of a supply chain involving multiple suppliers
- Improved use of resources across the organization
Refer to the Causal Analysis and Resolution (CAR) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about identifying causes of selected outcomes and taking action to improve process performance.
Refer to the Decision Analysis and Resolution (DAR) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about analyzing possible decisions using a formal evaluation process that evaluates identified alternatives against established criteria.
Refer to the Measurement and Analysis (MA) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about aligning measurement and analysis activities and providing measurement results.
Refer to the Organizational Process Focus (OPF) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about planning, implementing, and deploying organizational process improvements based on a thorough understanding of current strengths and weaknesses of the organization’s processes and process assets.
Refer to the Organizational Process Performance (OPP) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about establishing quality and process performance objectives and establishing process performance baselines and models.
Refer to the Organizational Training (OT) (CMMI-DEV) process area for more information about providing training.
- OPM.SG 1 Manage Business Performance
- The organization’s business performance is managed using statistical and other quantitative techniques to understand pro…
- OPM.SG 2 Select Improvements
- Improvements are proactively identified, evaluated using statistical and other quantitative techniques, and selected for…
- OPM.SG 3 Deploy Improvements
- Measurable improvements to the organization’s processes and technologies are deployed and evaluated using statistical an…