Establish and maintain plans for deploying selected improvements.
The plans for deploying selected improvements can be included in the plan for organizational performance management, in improvement proposals, or in separate deployment documents.
This specific practice complements the Deploy Organizational Process Assets specific practice in the Organizational Process Focus process area and adds the use of quantitative data to guide the deployment and to determine the value of improvements.
Example Work Products
- Deployment plans for selected improvements
1. Determine how each improvement should be adjusted for deployment.
Improvements identified in a limited context (e.g., for a single improvement proposal) might need to be modified for a selected portion of the organization.
2. Identify strategies that address the potential barriers to deploying each improvement that were defined in the improvement proposals.
3. Identify the target project population for deployment of the improvement.
Not all projects are good candidates for all improvements. For example, improvements may be targeted to software only projects, COTS integration projects, or operations and support projects.
4. Establish measures and objectives for determining the value of each improvement with respect to the organization’s quality and process performance objectives.
Measures can be based on the quantitative success criteria documented in the improvement proposal or derived from organizational objectives.
- Measured improvement in the project’s or organization’s process performance
- Time to recover the cost of the improvement
- Number and types of project and organizational risks mitigated by the process or technology improvement
- Average time required to respond to changes in project requirements, market situations, and the business environment
5. Document the plans for deploying selected improvements.
The deployment plans should include relevant stakeholders, risk strategies, target projects, measures of success, and schedule.
6. Review and get agreement with relevant stakeholders on the plans for deploying selected improvements.
Relevant stakeholders include the improvement sponsor, target projects, support organizations, etc.
7. Revise the plans for deploying selected improvements as necessary.